I get asked a lot "what are you reading now?" cause I can often be found with a book sticking out of my purse. Here's some books I've just recently read that I really enjoyed:
"The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy" by Maya Slater

This book is Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's point of view. It's written "diary" form, so it's all his journal entries. It was SO good. I will eat up anything Pride and Prejudice... I've read the book itself about 10 times (seriously). It was a really interesting take on the events that happened, and to hear things from his point of view. It brought tears to my eyes when he confessed his love to Elizabeth once again, this time to have her accept him. How wonderful!!!
"Serendipity" by Louise Shaffer

This story is about a girl (Carrie) who's mother just died. She never knew much about her mother's life, or why she was so bitter towards her husband (who'd died years earlier) or her own mother. As she delves deeper into her mother's past, Carrie realizes that to truly understand her mother, she needs to go back a couple generations and see how her great-grandmother, grandmother, and eventually mother all came to be who they were. It's an intriguing story of how one generation can affect another, without even knowing it and how the choices we make are really what make us who we are and help shape those around us (particularly family). I'll admit it, I bought it because I fell in love with the outfit on the cover, but I really did love the story inside. (There is some strong language and talk about some... touchy... subjects. Just a heads up.)
"Jane Austen Ruined My Life" and "Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart" both by Beth Pattillo
Both of these books are about women who have lost themselves and are searching to find their place in the world. Both find their way again through the immortal and wise words of Jane Austen. What more can you ask for? Romance, mystery, Jane Austen, a charming English environment. It's an ideal setting for a story. (Again, put anything Jane Austen in front of me and I'll eat it up.) It felt easy to relate to the main characters because who among us hasn't had their heart broken at one point, only to hope that you'll have your Mr. Darcy, or Mr. Knightly, or Edmund Bertrum come and sweep you off your feet?
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows

I actually read this one a while ago, at the recommendation of my mom. She has the best taste in books. Oh. My. Heavens. This is EASILY one of my favorite books I've ever read. The way it's written is in letter form, which I've never particularly cared for, but it's written incredibly well. So well, in fact, that it's hard to remember that the characters are fictional! Taking place right after World War II on the English Channel island of Guernsey, it's about this small town which starts writing a rather well known author after becoming enamored by one of her books during the war. She becomes quick friends and builds strong bonds with most of the people on this small island through their mutual correspondence. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking, and I'd recommend it to ANYONE. Such a beautiful book.
So... in case you were wondering, those are some of the books I'd recommend reading! All excellent choices and books I could easily read over and over again (which I plan on doing!).


5 comments:
Thanks for the recommendations! I read the Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society (after you suggested it) and got my whole book club to read it too! We all loved it, I trust your recommendations! I think I'll pick up Serendipity next. Have you read any of the Hunger games books yet? I've read the first two, they are a bit mindless and light. I couldn't put them down!
Yes and I LOVED it. It was so intense, I can't wait till the 3rd one comes out... only a couple months! HURRAY!
I definitely want to read seredipity. Bring it over sometime okay?
Sweet, I love this post. I'm always looking for stuff to read and thanks for the little exciting synopsi. (Ha ha... I'm guessing that's the plural form of synopsis...hee)
Thanks for sharing!!!
Can I barrow your Mr Darcy Diaries? I want to read it! I vote we have a Jane Austen night!
Post a Comment