Wednesday, October 29, 2008

But how will I ever get better if I always do it on easy?

I haven't updated in a while, and I just wanted to write really quickly about how grateful I am for my life. I know things don't always go as planned, but while I was talking with my friend Katie last night while we were working out, I realized just how blessed I am. I've gone through some pretty crappy things throughout my life, but if I hadn't been through those, I wouldn't be where I am now. When Chris, Daniel, Jordan, and I were playing Rock Band the other day, I was complaining about how hard a song was to play and Chris said "Just change the difficulty." and I replied "Yeah, but how will I ever get better if I always do it on easy?" Call me crazy for associating a Rock Band experience with life, but it hit me how profound that statement truly was. How can we ever get better if we always do it on easy? This life wasn't meant to be all "fun and games" so we can skip through. We were sent here to learn, and to grown, and to become more like our Savior, who as we know didn't have an easy life. And although it's no fun to go through those rough patches in our lives, what better way to become who we're meant to be than to be put through a refiners fire. That's the time your true spirit and character are brought out. It's all too easy to want to give up, but the true heroes in our lives should be the people who don't give up, who smile throughout their troubles and trials. A song that I love, that speaks directly to that part of my heart, is Smile...

Smile tho' your heart is aching,
Smile even though it's breaking,
When there are clouds in the sky- You'll get by,
If you Smile through your fear and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through- For you.
Light up your face with gladness,
Hide ev'ry trace of sadness,
Altho' a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile- What's the use of crying,
You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile.

4 comments:

LaFawnda said...

Loved your epiphany with Rock Band. Yeah, I guess we do want it set on easy, but the experiences too, which only come from "difficult" level. Thanks for the analogy.
Love you girlie.

Jenni said...

Wow.... how'd you know I needed to hear that right now...????? :)

Wendy Kremin said...

Cass, I 'm proud of you! I love you, Mom

karla said...

You always have such great gospel insights - thank you always sharing them. This was a message I needed to hear. :)