Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mourning a loss...

I know a lot of people have posted blogs about this but I'm truly mourning President Gordon B. Hinckley's death. I'm so sad. It still hasn't completely hit me but this morning, as I looked on KSL.com regarding the funeral and what the schedule was for this weekends services and it really started to get to me. Most of the youth and younger of the LDS church consider President Hinckley as "their Prophet" because he's been our prophet since we can remember. Sure, I remember Ezra Taft Benson and Howard W. Hunter a little bit , but mostly I remember President Hinckley. He's always been close to my heart, someone I felt I had a connection with through the gospel and there is no one on this earth who strengthened my testimony more. As I worked on gaining my own testimony, his testimony helped me to build the foundation I needed to have in order to build my own up. When I was about 9 or 10 years old (we were living on Yakota AFB in Japan at the time), we received a large manila envelope in the mail from the Church Office Building. We found this strange but opened it, not knowing what to expect. It was addressed to Cassidy Mae Kremin. When I opened the envelope, inside was a signed picture of President Hinckley, no letter included. Just a signed portrait of him. I never knew why I was blessed enough to have received something so wonderful and special and I suspect I'll never know (at least not in this life) but it was something that always put our beloved Prophet so near to my heart. In times of trial and struggle, I only needed to look at this picture and I knew that even if he didn't know me personally, he loved me and wanted the best for me. And that through him, I was able to feel more deeply of our Heavenly Father's love for me. Like any teenager, during General Conference, I would normally fall asleep about halfway through the session. But I knew, when President Hinckley got up to speak, I was in for a treat. He was always humorous, knowing how and when to tell a joke so that people would know he didn't take himself too seriously. But he also knew the right time to be serious and to be honest and up front and he never apologized for his beliefs. He stood behind them 100% and he KNEW what he'd experienced and what he'd been blessed to see and hear. Yet, for someone who was the closest on this earth to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, he was so approachable. He was like your favorite old grandpa, ready and willing to talk and listen and share wonderful experiences and stories with you. I only wish I'd been able to know him personally. In honor of our wonderful Prophet, I'd like to bear my testimony of this amazing gift we've been given. The full and true gospel of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know this church is true, I know that the blessing we've been given of having Joseph Smith, Jr. restore it to this earth is beyond our comprehension. There is nothing on this earth which will be able to help us more because of what he did for us. I love that we have a living Prophet on this earth, to communicate between our Heavenly Father and us so that we can know what He wants for us. I love this church, and the values and morals it stands for with all of my heart. I'm not ashamed of who I am or what I stand for. I love President Hinckley, and the other general authorities and I'm thankful for their example to me. I know these things are true. In the name of our beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.

4 comments:

I am Chree-uz. said...

Aw my Casser! I love your story about getting the picture. What a good experience to have!

I love you mucho, thank you for your spirit and testimony.

MM said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. You are a beautiful person! (Chris sent me the link to your site and I decided to pop-in on you. Hope you don't mind.)

The Sayamas said...

CAssidy! I enjoyed reading your testimony so much. Your story about the photograph you received is amazing. Thanks for sharing! I also enoyed our Sunday School/Twilight series discussion on Sunday :) You are so much fun to talk to! Can't wait for Saturday we'll have fun!

Steph said...

I love my friend Cassidy!! You are such a great example to me, thank you so so much for sharing that, I really appreciate it more than you know.. So 6:30 in the AM tomorrow eh? Let's do it! I'm excited!! Love you girl!