Friday, January 22, 2010

Why I love my dad...

"Be kind to thy father, for when thou wert young, Who loved thee so fondly as he? He caught the first accents that fell from thy tongue, And joined in thy innocent glee." -- Margaret Courtney

"The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm over his shoulder and says, 'Daddy, I need to ask you something,' he is a pat of butter in a hot frying pan." -- Garrison Keillor

"Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes." ~Gloria Naylor



What do all these quotes have in common? Well, they have to do with a father. I love my dad. We had a little scare this week and it got me thinking of all the reasons I love my dad. And here they are (well just some of them) in no particular order:
50. He is the smartest guy I know
49. He taught me to love computer games
48. He honors his Priesthood
47. He UNDERSTANDS the importance of honoring his Priesthood.
46. He loves my mother with all his heart and soul
45. He cries at sentimental movies
44. He willingly served our country for 30(ish) years
43. He taught me to love our country
42. He helped me pay off my credit card when I didn't have a job
41. He can paint beautifully (if only he'd take it up again)
40. He always has time to talk to me
39. Hearing his voice always manages to make me feel safe
38. I inherited his love of learning
37. He always encouraged me to be independent
36. No matter how old I get, sometimes I just need a hug from him
35. He is always willing to tell me how much he loves me
34. I can still get blessings from him if I ask
33. He has a wicked sense of humor
32. He taught me to love Japan and everything about it and it's people
31. He will help me practice my Japanese and is EXCITED to do so
30. He has really good advice to help me through the tough times
29. He taught me the value of hard work
28. He taught me the value of a good education
27. No matter how hair-brained my plans were, he'd support me in it
26. He makes me feel like I'll always be his little girl
25. Even though I can push his buttons, he always forgives me for my wrong doings
24. He loves our whole family so much, I can see it in his countenance
23. He always expressed how he felt about my mother
22. His example of how a husband should be gave me high expectations of what I should expect in my own marriage
21. He helped me burglar-proof my apartment
20. No matter how late it is, he's always willing to let me call when I'm upset or scared
19. I will always fit in his arms for a hug
18. He will always be the perfect size to fit in mine
17. He never let me doubt how much I meant to him, even when we weren't particularly close to each other
16. He taught me how to change my breaks and clean my battery terminals
15. He acts (or maybe genuinely is) impressed by my ability to change a tire in 15 minutes
14. He would be willing to give me (or any of us) the world if I asked for it (not that I ever would)
13. He is so willing to give of himself, even to a perfect stranger
12. I know he's brave and tough
11. ... even when he cries at sappy commercials
10. He isn't ashamed to show his emotions
9. He loves beautiful music, and is moved by it
8. He loves history (particularly military history)
7. ... and taught me to love it as well
6. He is very Christlike, in his actions and the way he loves people
5. He serves in the church and truly magnifies his callings
4. He was the best bishop I've had
3. When I spend the night at my parents house, he always says good night and I love you
2. I love the way he smells when I hug him, it's like the whole world will be alright
1. He loves me for me, despite all my MANY faults and short comings

Dad, I love you so much. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. You're truly a hero in my eyes.

Love, your Muffin

3 comments:

I am Chree-uz. said...

Good ole Papa-san : ) Good tribute!

Hope said...

You DO have a great dad. And I have a fabulous brother!

Wendy Kremin said...

So beautifully written, Cassidy. I'm glad he's still with us.